6.13 Restrained

By &
Original TwoP air date 9.17.2006 Lois may be the only one who can keep her cousin from crossing the line when Chloe uncovers the truth behind her mother’s insanity. Lana delivers Lex an ultimatum.
Luthor mansion. Lex and Lana fencing. He defeats her several times pretty easily. He tells her she always leaves herself open to attack.
Lana makes a provocative statement.
Lex smiles leaving her an opening to tag him. They take a break.
She's made a decision. She doesn't want LuthorCorp experimenting on people anymore.
Lex argues.
"If our aim is to save the human race we need to behave like we're worth saving."
Dammit, Allison. Keep swiping from BSG and we'll have a lawsuit on our hands.
The idea of not becoming your enemy is a staple, Michael. Keep your pants on.
[Winking] Don't you wish.
Actually your pants won't be needed for the next scene.
[giggles] Oh, yeah.
[Hopeful] Lana and Lex finally bump uglies?
Don't you wish. Lex says Lana's position creates a Catch-22. To make the human race worth saving means risking complete annihilation.
"We're just assuming it will happen. What if Kal-El doesn't make his move for years? Or ever? Lois thinks he saved us. Why would our enemy do that? How many lives might we ruin for nothing?"
Dismissive, "Lois." Then serious, "It's a risk we have to take. To do otherwise is irresponsible."
"Ruin countless peoples lives based on one overheard conversation? What do we really know of Kal-El? He might be nothing like Zod. I can't stay with you if you insist on continuing down this path."
Lex wants to know why Lana has changed her mind. "Have you been talking to Clark?"
"Not all roads lead to Clark. Lex, a man died an agonizing death in front of my eyes thanks to a LuthorCorp experiment. Experiments I thought I believed in. But I don't anymore. I can't. I don't care what he had done. No one deserves that."
"That man tried to kill you. He tried to kill us both!"
"Only because LuthorCorp experimented on him against his will."
Lex is amused. "So it's OK in the abstract. But once it's put in your face you have reservations. If I were to take you to visit a slaughter house I bet you'd never eat meat again."
"Don't dismiss me, Lex. I'm serious."
"Lana, I'm serious too." Significant pause, "The only thing I could remember when I woke up after being possessed by Zod was the most intense emotion I've ever felt. The contempt and hate was so palatable I could feel it stick in the back of my throat. It practically choked me."
"Oh, my God, Lex."
"That's who they are, Lana. You, me, all of us are like bugs to them. Maybe you're right. Maybe Kal-El isn't like Zod. But what if you're wrong? If he has a tenth the contempt for us as Zod then God help us. God help us all. We can't take that chance."
"Zod is gone, Lex. I'm not saying we should stop the experiments completely. Just stop using human test subjects. If you don't take me seriously them maybe it's over between us." She exits.
He calls after her. She doesn't reply and he doesn't follow.
He doesn't follow?
Yeah, what's up with that?
He's got himself some balls!
No, he's an asshole.
He's an asshole with balls!
Please, people! I just ate lunch.
An 'inner sanctum' similar to the premier. Three Fines approach a crystal as seen in a picture from several episodes ago.
He stops and admires it for a second before reaching out to touch it.
As he does the weapon disintegrates him with great fanfare of special effects. The remaining two Fines look at each other and frown.
Lois' apartment. Lois hands Chloe a folder.
Chloe wants to know if Lois looked at the file yet.
"No. I promised."
"Thanks"
Lois wants to know why Chloe is so secretive. They used to share everything but Chloe is sharing less and less. It seems like they've been growing apart ever since Lois first set foot in Smallville to look for her supposed killer. Lois realizes this is about Chloe's mom but they're family. Why doesn't Chloe feel like she can share it with her?
Chloe apologies. She has been hiding something but she's not ready to share it yet. She's hoping this file will answer some of her questions. If it does she'll be able to tell Lois everything.
"And if it doesn't?"
"Lois..."
"Look. Obviously this is something that has been eating away at you for a while. If you need me I'm here for you."
"I know."
"I'm going to put some tea on. You want some?"
"Sure."
Lois goes into her kitchen and the camera follows.
We don't see Chloe's reaction to the folder?
No.
Why not? It's a great opportunity for Allison to show off her acting chops.
You'll see.
Lois prattles on about not being able to find things in her new place yet. She looks through about six different cabinets before she finds the tea bags.
"Chamomile or Lemon Zest?" When Chloe doesn't answer she pokes her head and around the corner. Chloe is gone. The folder lays open on the table by the chair. "Chloe?"
Lois' apartment door is open. She pokes her head out "Chloe?"
She comes back in, closing the door behind her. She sits down and fingers the folder for a second or two conflicted about what to do. "Forgive me, cousin." End teaser
Lex in the shower. His kryptonite ring is in a soap dish. He lathers up.
This is so not right.
You should have thought about that before you started the fishnet shenanigans.
I promise you from the bottom of my heart I had nothing to do with the costume selection for that promo shoot.
Save it Michael.
You looked good in fishnets, Allison.
[Blushing] Yeah?
[Hopeful] So maybe we can...
I'm sure you'll look good in the buff.
Fine slips into the bathroom.
This is so wrong.
[Evil grin] It gets better.
Dorm room. Chloe enters. Lana's fencing garb lies on her bed next to business attire with her necklace and LuthorCorp ID badge on top. "Lana?"
No answer.
Chloe goes to her dresser and pulls out her taser, "Lana?" Still no answer. She looks at the stuff on Lana's bed.
Clark's room. He enters. Chloe is inside, her back to him.
"Chloe? What are you doing here?"
"Clark, You must promise me something."
"Anything."
"Promise you won't stop me."
"Stop you? From what?"
"I can't tell you until you promise."
"You know I can't do that."
Desperate, "Please Clark. I'm begging you."
"What's going on Chloe?"
"Lionel. He's responsible for mom."
Worried, "Chloe? What are you planning?"
"You have to promise me you'll stay out of it."
"If he's done something wrong we can bring him to justice, together."
"I already tried that once. This time I'm going to handle it once and for all."
"I can't let you can't take the law into your own hands, no matter what he's done."
"You've always been a better person than me Clark, an inspiration. You could inspire millions and you don't even realize it. I've never understood how you can be so good and not even know it. You always fight it, always wanting to be like the rest of us. There's something in you that just won't let that happen. It gives me have hope that... that someday maybe you will forgive me."
"Forgive you for what?"
Show her holding the infamous lead box. "I'm sorry, Clark." She opens the box and turns around. Inside is Lana's necklace.
Allison, what are you doing? This could cause a rift between Clark and Chloe for quite some time.
He forgave Pete pretty quickly.
He never held Pete to the same standard he holds Chloe. Never.
Pete never swapped stories with Lionel in exchange for a column.
Shut up Michael.
Why doesn't she just go to kill Lionel and leave Clark out of it?
Unconsciously a part of her wants Clark to stop her.
But he doesn't say want she needs to hear.
[Sarcastic] What, that he loves her?
[Annoyed] Actually yes, Michael, I know it's hard for you to imagine characters could be driven by motivations they aren't even aware of.
I'm perfectly cognizant of latent homosexuality.
I thought we decided we weren't going for the angsty relationship stuff anymore.
It's not romantic love she's after. She just wants to hear Clark say he loves her even if it's just as a sister or as a friend.
But instead of appealing to her emotions he tries to appeal to her reason.
And since Chloe isn't reasonable...
Shut up Michael!
That's pretty deep, Allison.
It was Erica's idea.
I don't think the fans will follow.
We'll talk about the platonic stuff in a following episode. Chloe wants this validation from Clark. She needs more than compliments. She needs to be needed.
I think you may have a song there, Allison.
So she needs to hear that she's important to him. That he needs her.
Exactly.
Clark falls to his knees. "What are you doing?"
"I know you Clark. You'd never stand by and let me do what needs to be done. I hoped if I could get you to promise. Then maybe..."
"Chloe don't do this. Don't throw your life away. You're better than this!"
"No I'm not Clark. No I'm not. Lionel is going to pay for what he did to my mom. For what he's done to you, me, Lex. All of us. It's going to end tonight."
"Please Chloe. Think about what you're doing!"
"I have. I'm sorry Clark. I'm so sorry. I want you to know I always loved you and I always will. I wish I could be as good as you. I'm not, Clark. I'm only human. You.. you're like everyone's guardian angel. You could never turn a blind eye could you? Even for me."
Clark falls on his side, "Chloe! Please. Don't do this."
She gently rolls him onto his back.
"This isn't who you want to be."
"No, it's not." A sniffle, "Oh, Clark. You, more than anyone, know we can't always be who we want to be. The best we can hope for is to want to be who we are."
"This isn't who you are."
She puts her fingers to his lips, "Shhh. Don't make this any harder." Lifting his head and slipping the necklace on, "The truth is I don't know who I am anymore. Maybe you don't know who I am either."
She gently lays Clark's head back on the floor and carefully positions the necklace. As she lets go a tear falls on the meteor rock.
Give me a break!
It's a nice visual image.
It's straight out of a fairy tale. So what happens? Her tear hits the necklace and magically Clark realizes he loves her? Does the tear of true love turn the stone pink and they live happily ever after?
Actually, that's a pretty neat...
Stay focused Mack!
Oh, Sorry. She stands back up and pulls Clark's keys out of his backpack, exiting without another word. She leaves a message on Martha's answering machine that Clark is sick and needs Martha's help. Clark's room key will be in his truck at school.
Martha comes in from getting groceries in time for the tail end of Chloe's message. She picks up the phone and dials.
Lex's shower.
Lex notices his ring is glowing. He can make out a figure standing outside his shower stall.
He uses heat vision to attack through the glass.
Fine is thrown against the wall. Lex jumps through the remaining glass to attacks Fine. He throws him against another wall. As Fine moves to get up Lex grabs a pistol.
Fine smirks. "Am I supposed to be impressed by your little pistol?"
"You'll find the ammunition uniquely potent."
I can't believe you, Allison.
So you did get the HoYay. I'm so glad.
You've crossed the line.
Actually she wanted to add something about how Fine would find penetration mind blowing but I made her leave it out.
[Turns red]
[Shocked] Allison! That's not like you!
I know. I'd never make it in the gay porn business.
"What do you want?" asks Lex.
"I want to help. I've found the weapon."
"Why should I trust you?"
"Do you want to kill Kal-El or not? Only two weapons exist. Kal-El is moving on one of them now. If you can beat him to it you can defeat him. Once Kal-El has acquired both weapons there will be nothing left to stop him. He will make his move."
Lois' apartment. She's reading from the folder. Her phone rings.
Martha asks if Lois has seen Clark or Chloe. Lois wonders why. Martha thinks something might be wrong. Chloe left a really strange message on her answering machine.
Lois asks Martha to hold on. She goes to her closet. The door is cracked open. Lois feels around on the top shelf. "Oh, Chloe."
"Is everything OK Lois?"
"No, Ms. Kent. It's not alright at all. Chloe has taken my gun."
"What's going on?"
Lois glances at the folder, "I have a feeling it has to do with Lionel."
"What is it? Is Clark in danger?"
"Chloe probably wanted Clark to stay out of it. Knowing him he wouldn't."
"Is Lionel in danger?"
"I don’t' have time to explain Mrs. Kent. I've got to track down Chloe."
Martha seems worried. She dials another number.
Lana nervously steps up to the podium at the LuthorCorp shareholders' meeting. She announces that she's going to speak in favor of restoring CEO executive powers. The crowd murmurs because no one seems to know who she is.
That's kind of out of the blue. Why didn't we hear about that before?
Opps. We'll have Lex call her from the plane and ask her to make the speech for him.
He's got to promise her he'll stop experimenting on humans.
No way!
We can do that.
No way!
And then he'll ask somebody else to lower Lana's security clearance level.
Yes way! I love you, Erica!
Yes, well I'm just happy I can help make Lex an evil bastard.
As long as he's not magnificent.
Did I say magnificent?
No.
OK then. Back the hell off! Geez.
Chloe lets herself into the LuthorCorp building with Lois' ID. Lois was waiting in the lobby for her.
"Chloe. We need to talk."
Walking past her, "Stay out of this Lois."
He grabs Chloe's arm. "No. Give me the gun. I read the report."
"Then you know what I have to do."
"I know you have to calm down."
"Lois, if it wasn't for Lionel I would still have my mother! She's not a whole person anymore and it's all because of him."
"The report doesn't say that. You're reading between the lines. You're letting your distrust of Lionel cloud your judgment. Killing Lionel isn't going to bring things back to the way they were."
"Of course the report doesn't say he did it! With the Luthors you always have to read between the lines."
"Give me the gun, Chloe."
"OK."
Lois seems surprised Chloe gave up so easily. "I'm glad you're starting to see things clearly."
Chloe reaches into her pocketbook. She pulls out her taser. "I'm sorry Lois. If Clark isn't going to stop me then neither are you." She tasers Lois. Chloe spots a custodial closet. She starts dragging Lois towards it.
First Clark and then Lois? Wow. She's not actually going to shot Lionel is she?
I hope not. Lex has me in the hospital later in the season. I don't really want to have to make two visits in one season.
Yeah, leave it to Lex to be the only character visiting multiple times in a season.
Lana's had her share of hospital time.
Chloe too.
Look. Everybody's been in the stupid hospital so many times it's not funny. Let's not get bitter about it.
Too late.
Clark's room. Fine seeps in under the door. He smiles triumphantly, "I told you they would betray you. I never imagined it would be so soon."
Straining, "She didn't betray me."
"She used your only weakness against you leaving you helpless and alone, an odd display of loyalty."
"She knew... I'd stop her."
"Then why involve you at all?"
"I think... I think she wanted me to stop her."
"Convenient delusions led to the destruction of the Krypton, Kal-El. Don't let them destroy you too. The truth is she doesn't accept you for who you are. None of them do. None of them ever will. Deep down she's afraid of you, jealous of your powers. She wanted to hurt you."
Is that true?
No.
Yes.
What?
Well she didn't at first but then she thought about how good he is and how he doesn't seem to need her...
Bullshit! Don't pull that pop psychology on me. Chloe would never hurt Clark!
Fine, whatever. Past seasons say different.
That was the past!
Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.
In that case I think she wanted to jump his bones. AM &
Shut up Michael!
"Why are you here?"
"I'm here for you. To give you what you need - to stop Lex from obtaining the weapon, and to find the ship."
"Why should I trust you?"
His back to Clark, "Trust." He turns and extends a spike up against Clark's neck. "Trust put you in this vulnerable position. Your love for these humans leaves you open..." He pushes open Clark's shirt to uncover the spot where he extracted the silverK last season.
That's a Kryptonian erogenous zone, by the way.
Shut up! It is not!
How would you know?
"and exposed." He presses the spike up against Clark's skin and a drop of blood appears, "Have you forgotten how easily I can penetrate your flesh? I could tear you apart right here and now if I wanted." Up in Clark's face, "I wonder. Just how much silverK do you think you could take before it drove you completely mad?"
Fine shakes his head as if coming out of a trance. He retracts the spike.
"I'm the last of Jor-El's reprogrammed models. As time goes on it becomes more and more difficult to repress my true nature. It is time, Kal-El, for you to rise to the occasion and take matters into your own hands. Do not allow Lex to wield the weapon. The consequences will be disastrous. The weapon is meant for you and you alone. You must take it before he does."
Lana and the shareholders. She explains that Lex quadrupled profits in only two years. Under his leadership LuthorCorp is on the verge of becoming the nation's largest military contractor. But LuthorCorp could do so much more. Its growth could be even more phenomenal if not for the restraints placed on its CEO.
Chloe bursts into Lionel's office holding a gun.
"It's time you paid for what you've done! What you've do to Clark. What you've do to Lex. What you've do to me." Pause. "And what you've done to my mother!"
Lionel slowly turns in his chair to face her. "Ms. Sullivan, I've been expecting you."
"You don't think I'm going to go through with it, do you?"
"I know you're not a killer."
"I can be whatever I need to be."
"That's one of the things I admire about you, Ms. Sullivan. But let me assure you I never hurt your mother. The fact is I loved her dearly. When Lillian was diagnosed with brain cancer I contacted her. We were old friends. She worked tirelessly for a cure. But to no avail. We lost Lillian. But with your mother and me working so closely together something was... re-ignited. She wanted to stay at LuthorCorp and finish what we had been working so hard for." Lionel pauses, "Gabe, of course objected. He knew your mother and I had... a history together."
"You. You split them up."
"Me? No. Gabe forced her to choose; her family or her passion. The decision broke her heart but your mother knew how important a cure was to so many others. She sacrificed her own family life to save the lives of others. Once, towards the end, she told me her greatest regret was leaving her only child to grow up motherless."
"All lies! I've seen the files. I know the truth. It all ends here!"
"The truth. It's amazing which truths we push aside when we aren't prepared to deal with them. You read the report I gave Lois? I knew she would come in handy."
"I read the full report."
Impressed, "You're even more resourceful than I believed. Then you know then that we were close, so close to a cure we could almost taste it. She was diagnosed with brain cancer just as we had created a meteor rock based therapy that completely eliminated cancerous tissue in lab animals."
"Using meteor rocks was your suggestion, no doubt! That's what gave her the cancer, isn't it?"
"On the contrary, she was just as intrigued by those little green nuggets as you, Ms. Sullivan. You are your mother's daughter after all. I had no idea what a gold mine my factory sat on until she suggested those rocks could be of some use. Unfortunately we were still years away from gaining FDA approval for human trials. Without consulting anyone she ran trials on herself and a few other volunteers with no hope for a cure."
"That's what the official report claims. I don't believe it. I don't believe a word!"
"You're right. The official report leaves out some details but not the one you might expect. The treatment actually worked. She was cured! What a bittersweet moment it was. Years too late for Lillian but we had done it!" Lionel sheds a tear, "We had done it!"
Oh, what a magnificent bastard! Did he have to pinch himself to tear up or can he do it at will?
"But that's not the end of the story."
"No. Months later, on the verge of publishing our findings we began to notice it. Her mental facilities were failing. The vibrant loving brilliant person you and I once knew was slowly slipping away." He pauses and looks down, "Now she's little more than a shell." He adjusts the placement of a video tape on his desk, "I shut down the project completely and the results were never published. All records of the initial success were redacted."
"Why wasn't I ever told about this? Why wasn't my dad told?"
"Gabe. He knows everything. We were very up front with him. But your mother, she didn't ever want you to see her like that. She wanted you to remember her at her best even if it meant you might never understand why she left. She asked you never be told."
"How... how could she do that?"
"I didn't fully understand her decision until I faced death myself. We like to seem larger than life to our children. Because I loved her I promised to obey her wishes."
Becoming angry again, "If you loved her so much why are you going against her wishes now?"
"Because you found her, Ms. Sullivan. Quite a feat I must admit. I was to be contacted if you ever visited her. The least you deserve is to hear the whole story."
"So that's it? The story ends with my mother in an institution unable to care for herself? Why couldn't you just tell me? Why make me jump through so many hoops?"
"Because the story doesn't end here, Ms. Sullivan. In a way this is where it begins."
"What are you talking about?"
"You've passed all my tests. You've proven yourself more than worthy."
"Worthy? For what?"
"I want you to help me take back LuthorCorp from Lex. Together I want the two of us to turn LuthorCorp into the greatest economic empire the world has ever seen."
Holy crap. Did Lionel really just say that? Damn. If he gets Chloe on his side Lex is going down in flames.
Chloe and Lionel as a team? Don't make me laugh.
Oh, you wouldn't be laughing. You'd be crying.
No that's...
Chloe's job. Ha. Ha.
You take all the joy out of it, Allison.
Lois in the chemical storage closet. She's trying to break the door knob off with a fire extinguisher. A canister of chemicals has spilled and she's coughing. She calls out for help. She tries to cover the chemical with extinguisher which helps. She starts smashing door knob again.
Back to Lana. "If not for the restraints placed on Lex Luthor he would have been able to prevent two recent media blunders created by rouge employees. He doesn't have the authority to fire at will. An action LuthorCorp documents show he recommended months ago for the individuals involved with the recent debacles. Fortunately LuthorCorp has been blessed with a talented public relations department which has been able to adeptly handle these embarrassing tragedies. But public opinion will wane if these incidences continue. It would be better to avoid them entirely."
Lionel's Office. "Why me?"
"Because Ms. Sullivan, Chloe, I want the two of us to run the LuthorCorp empire together side by side, father and daughter."
Holy crap!
Holy crap!
Holy crap!
Cool.
You didn't see it coming? At least now it's out in the open. People can stop griping about Chloe and Lex never hooking up.
Don't be so sure. There's a huge contingent of fans out there who want Chloe and Lois to hook up. The incest aspect might actually ratchet things up a notch.
No, Michael, they want Chloe to be Lois.
Not "be with" Lois?
No.
How could Chloe be Lois? Who does that make Lois?
Don't ask.
So all the 'Chlois' buzz, it's not about a ship at all?
No, Michael.
Dammit! That means Clex is still unchallenged!
I told you...
I know. I thought you just didn't believe me because they were cousins.
Chloe is trembling now. "Daughter? You're just trying to save you're own vile skin. I'm through with your sick, twisted lies!"
Laughs. "You followed the trail. A trail you know very well I laid out for you to find. It's funny how we can be so blind to things we don't want to see, especially those that stare us in the face. I must admit I've been blind to them too, Chloe. My wife, Lillian, wasn't the woman I thought she was. Lex is out of control. He has been for years but I refused to see it. Lucas is no better than a common criminal. You're the only one of my children worthy to continue the Luthor legacy."
Tears run down her face. "There is no way you're my father. You can't be. You can't!"
"I can't? Why else would someone of my position take such a strong interest in a high school student such as you?"
"You wanted information about Clark!"
"Clark? I know you love him. But as extraordinary as he is not everything revolves around Mr. Kent. He's merely one piece in a complicated puzzle. Do you have any idea how may private eyes I could have had scouring the Kent farm for the favors called in to get you, a teenager, a column at the Daily Planet? You've no idea the sacrifices I made to give you your dream! I could have found out everything there is to know about Mr. Kent ten times over. But I'm a patient man, Chloe. I had plenty of time to find out about Clark. He wasn't going anywhere. I was testing you." Lionel chuckles, "I'd almost written you off as a total failure. What possible use would I have with someone so quick to give up her own dreams? And in exchange for what? Love? Loyalty? Clark gave you neither and yet you stuck with him all the same. I was baffled. And disappointed. But I wasn't ready to give up on you completely. I pushed you a little bit harder. And then a little more. Finally I pushed too hard. By the time you proved your worth it was too late."
Chloe tries to speak. Instead she bends over and vomits. The gun she points at Lionel shakes ever more wildly.
Frowning, "I know this must come as a shock."
Now there's an unintentionally funny moment if I've ever seen one.
Actually Lionel's line is intentionally understated. It's supposed to be funny.
It's a bit too "Crying Game" to me.
"Crying game?" He threw up when he discovered his lover was male. Is that what finding out Lionel is her father is like?
Maybe she and Lex actually did do it that summer. She knew it was wrong but had no idea it was oh so wrong.
And yet oh so right!
[shakes like she has a chill] You two make my skin crawl!
I just like how he gets around. The nanny, Mrs. Sullivan, Martha.
He's a bastard.
A magnificent bastard.
Chloe wipes her mouth on her sleeve, "You.. you tried to have me killed! Your own daughter?"
"Self preservation is man's strongest instinct. It's ironic my own children unwittingly joined forces to lock me away. Lex didn't fair much better than you as I remember. I was a different person then."
Steadying the gun and aiming. "I'm a different person too."
Lois throws the fire extinguisher against the door knob. This time it finally snaps off. She throws open the door and runs for the elevator. She mutters to herself as she waits for it to descend thirty stories.
Lex outside a temple with Fine. They bow to two monks and enter. Fine leads him to a dark corner and pushes a brick in the wall. A wall slides open. Lex follows Fine into the darkness.
Lionel's office. "I need an heir I can trust to run LuthorCorp when I'm gone. Years ago I was under the impression you'd never make an acceptable heir because you didn't give me anything on Clark. What I didn't realize is that your loyalty to him was stronger than all else. You walked through fire for him. That unwavering loyalty has earned his trust, his respect, and his admiration. There's no question he would do the same for you. That's a quality Lex doesn't posses. He never will. I know you could never be as loyal to me or the Luthor name as to Clark. I don't ask for that. But I need you Chloe, Daughter. I need you."
"Clark..." Realization, "What have I done?" Disgust, "What have you turned me into!?"
Inside the elevator. Lois presses the top button frantically. "Come on... Come on..." The doors open. She rushes out.
Tears stream down Chloe's face. She drops the gun, collapsing into a fetal position. She sobs uncontrollably.
Lois bursts in, "Don't do it... Chloe?" She looks back and forth in confusion between Chloe and Lionel before going to comfort her cousin. She hugs her tightly and stares daggers at Lionel.
Lionel stands, "I'm leaving you video tape, Chloe. A message your mother recorded one of the last days she was still a bit like her old self. She wanted you to have it if you ever inadvertently discovered the truth." He exits.
Lois whispers words of reassurance.
Finally, "Clark."
"What?"
"Get me to him."
"He can wait."
"No. We have to get to him now!"
"OK." Lois helps Chloe up. She picks up her gun. "At least you put the safety back on."
Embarrassed, "Safety?"
Ejecting the ammo clip, "And it wasn't even loaded! You need to stick with the taser. And to think my dad gave you a grenade for graduation! Idiot! You're lucky you haven't blow yourself up!" Lois grabs the tape. Looking Chloe in the eye she wipes away a tear, "Are you going to be OK?"
Chloe nods.
Putting her arm around her. "Good. We've got a five minute drive, enough time to fill me in. And it had better be good. If I was tasered and locked in a chemical closet for nothing you'll have hell to pay." They exit.
Clark's room. "I cannot help you any longer." Fine pulls his spiked arm back and rams it forward, directly through the Kryptonite in the necklace, which shatters.
Clark lets out a sudden gasp. Your best "O" face, Tom - I'm sure Jamie can help you with it.
You have got to be kidding me.
Pain is pleasure, Tom.
"The fate of Krypton's legacy now rests in your hands, Kal-El." Placing a crystal in Clark's hand, "Time is of the essence. Make your father proud." Fine brushes Clark's cheek with his hand and turns to dust. Clark struggles to stand. The necklace falls from his neck, landing limp on the floor.
Can a necklace even be limp?
Don't dis the HoYay, Tom. Nobody disses the HoYay.
Chloe and Lois walk down a hallway. "So if Lionel is your... that means Lex is your...."
Silence.
"Ew."
You just had to put that line in there.
Erica wanted a line about how she always wondered why Chloe and Lex hadn't ever hooked up.
Ending with a derogatory comment about Lex, I'm sure.
Something about incest being one of his more endearing traits.
She's supposed to be warming up to Lex!
That's why we went with "Ew" instead.
Cut to inside Clark's room. Super hearing kicks in. Chloe tells Lois not tell anyone about this, especially Clark.
Outside his door, "Of course. I'm sure Clark would be more than a little freaked out to find out that you and Lex are... so close. I'm just glad you didn't kill Lionel."
Cut back inside. Chloe unlocks the door. Clark does seem freaked to hear that Chloe and Lex are "close".
He grabs the crystal and then the key to the fortress from a desk drawer and super speeds out the window.
Outside his door. "Well, if we're to believe Lionel it seems I have at least one thing in common with Lex. We'd both like to kill him but neither of us seem able to bring ourselves to do it."
"You think Lionel is lying? About something like that?"
"He could tell me the sky was blue and I'd still go outside to double check. I'm just a quick DNA test away from knowing for sure." Chloe opens the door an inch and pauses. "Look Lois, do you mind hanging out in the hall for a minute or two? I'd like to talk to Clark privately first."
"You said and did some things you weren't proud of."
"You could say that."
"Well at least you didn't taser him and stuff him into a closet."
Frown, "Yeah."
"It was worse? I don't see how!"
"Shhh." She opens the door and peers in. When she sees that Clark isn't there she freezes.
Lois pokes her head around, "Looks like Hodini skipped out on you, cousin." Lois walks in. She sees the necklace. "Isn't that Lana's?"
Chloe picks it up. "Yes."
"Why does Clark have Lana's necklace? It looks like he smashed it to pieces! She'll completely freak when she finds out she doesn't have her little anti-Kal-El good luck charm. Heaven forbid she go around unprotected from the future conqueror of the world."
She needs to carry condoms around with her if she wants to do that.
Lana and Lex have never...
Nobody believes that anymore, Kristen.
Well I'm going to write it explicitly into my next episode.
Besides, Lex is never going to conquer the world.
Lionel and Chloe are.
"I'm the one that took it."
"You? Then you'd better get ready for some serious ass kissing. I have a feeling you've got a lot of apologizing ahead."
Chloe sighs and looks down at the necklace, "You have no idea, Lois. You have absolutely no idea."
Back to Lana. "So will the shareholders grant Lex Luthor the power needed to allow him to make LuthorCorp the world's largest economic powerhouse, showering its shareholders with profits? Will they allow him to aid our government in protecting America from all threats both foreign and domestic? Or will you continue to hinder his efforts and simply allow this corporation to wither on the vine? LuthorCorp is a mere shadow of its true potential. The decision is yours. Will you allow LuthorCorp to drive the future or will you allow others to drive the future for us?"
Midway through the speech cut to a LuthorCorp lab. Pan across a machine that brings nano-goop and kryptonite dust into close proximity. Maybe through thin tubes that twist across each other. A runoff solution containing the black dust drips into a beaker below. Zoom back to reveal dozens of similar machines all percolating the black dust.
We should be winding down plot points, not creating new ones!
I'm sure you guys will manage.
Clark zips to the temple. Three Fines jump to attack. In super speed Clark ducks under, running for the entrance. Two monks at the door morph into Fines blocking his way. Back to real time. A crane shot, five more Fines step out from behind trees. They all circle around Clark. An eleventh emerges from the Temple, "Prepare for your end, Kal-El."
The inner sanctum. Overlay Lana's audio, "So will you chose to trust this man who has given so much of himself to the betterment of his country and the betterment of mankind the tools he needs to continue..."
Lex approaches the pedestal. Fine, slightly nervous, stays several feet back. Lex observes the intricate carvings on the weapon and smiles.
The Shareholder meeting. "Or will you chose to keep his hands tied? I think the choice is clear. Lex Luthor has proven himself worthy of your trust. Give him the power necessary to do what needs to be done." As Lana says these last words cut back to Lex but keep the audio from the meeting.
Lex reaches out to touch the weapon. Fade to black.
Wow. That's just great. I mean aside from the shower scene.
Clark has to fend off almost a dozen Fines?
It's your episode. I'm sure you'll pull it off.
Plus he has to deal with the black stuff and Lex having the weapon!
Don't forget that Zod and Jor-El are still stuck in the daddy crystal.
The fun is just beginning.
Previous(CV boys will be boys) Next (Intermission)

No comments: